Meghan Markle, the Duchess of Sussex, has accused Buckingham Palace of “perpetuating falsehoods” about herself and her husband Prince Harry, according to an excerpt from her interview with Oprah Winfrey released on Wednesday night, just hours after Buckingham Palace announced it was probing reports about Meghan allegedly bullying her assistants.
In the clip released by CBS, Oprah asks Meghan how she feels about the Palace “hearing you speak your truth today?”
Meghan then responds she doesn’t know how the palace could expect “after all of this time we would still just be silent” after playing an active role in “perpetuating falsehoods about us.”
The duchess adds that if her opening up comes with the risk of losing things “there’s a lot that’s been lost already.”
Hours before the clip was released, Buckingham Palace said it was “very concerned” and will investigate reports by the U.K. newspaper the Times that Meghan had bullied her assistants while living in Kensington Palace two years ago.
The interview with Oprah was recorded before the Times ran its report.
“We are clearly very concerned about allegations in The Times following claims made by former staff of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex,” Buckingham Palace said in a statement on Wednesday. “The Royal Household… does not and will not tolerate bullying or harassment in the workplace.”
On Tuesday, citing unnamed sources, the Times reported an aide to Harry and Meghan had raised a complaint in October 2018 alleging that the Duchess “humiliated” them, reduced staff to tears, and engaged in what felt like “emotional cruelty and manipulation.” Harry and Meghan issued a statement denying that she had bullied anyone. A spokesperson for Meghan said she was “saddened by this latest attack on her character, particularly as someone who has been the target of bullying herself and is deeply committed to supporting those who have experienced pain and trauma.” Last month Buckingham Palace announced that Harry and Meghan would not be returning as working members of the Royal Family a year after stepping down as senior royals. The announcement followed a year-long review in which the couple first moved to Canada and then to the U.S.
The Times’ report about Meghan’s alleged bullying is the latest chapter in a fraught between the British press and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Late last month, Prince Harry appeared on an episode of James Corden’s ‘The Late Late Show’ where he said he had to step back from the British Royal family as the “toxic” British press was having an impact on his mental health. In the free-wheeling interview, Harry opened up about facing a “really difficult environment” and said he did what any husband or father would do and finally made the decision that “I need to get my family out of here.”
Meghan accuses Buckingham Palace of ‘perpetuating falsehoods’ (Reuters)
Meghan Markle ‘Saddened’ By Accusation Of Bullying Royal Staff ‘To The Point Of Tears’ Ahead Of Oprah TV Interview (Forbes)