Curly hair is a gorgeous crown of twists and twirls that requires love and knowledge to let it shine. Unfortunately, most hair care tips in the beauty industry are given with straight or wavy hair in mind, which can go beyond being useless to actually causing damage to those of us with different hair types.
Below are 11 game-changing curly hair care tips we’ve accumulated over years of trying to be friends and not enemies with our own curly hair.
1. Only detangle your hair when it’s wet and thoroughly soaked in conditioner.
2. Switch to silk pillowcases to reduce breakage, frizz, and tangles.
3. Don’t over-wash your hair. Curly hair doesn’t get oily as fast as straight hair, and washing it too often won’t allow the oils to moisturize your hair, causing it to dry out.
4. Stock up on moisturizing products and apply them often and liberally – the key to keeping curly hair gorgeous is plenty of hydration. Some great choices are Shea Moisture’s Jamaican Black Castor Oil Leave-In Conditioner and the Macadamia Oil treatment.
5. Use a deep moisturizing mask at least once a week or every other week—something like Shea Moisture’s Jamaican Black Castor Oil Masque or this Argan Oil Deep Conditioning Treatment.